Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Trinity Church in NYC

I was invited to go to Trinity Church to see the US Army Choir and strings....I was blown away! What an amazing group of people and listening the the strings was like watching a movie with great music. I had the opportunity to sit next to my new friend, Colonel Baggio. He's a great guy, has a nice family and lives out in DC. He had his formal Army suit on so I felt special sitting besides him. At one point in the concert they sang a song called: Last Letter Home. I looked over at the Colonel and he was fighting back tears...I was already choked up...the letter was converted into song and as I heard it and as I watched the Colonel wipe away some tears all I kept thinking of was his family and how many lives are lost in war. And after seeing pictures of his kids, I could just feel what he must've been feeling. I'd like to post a copy of that letter here...to pay tribute!

Last Letter Home
Text by U.S. Army tank Crewman Pfc. Jesse A. Givens - who died on May 1, 2003 when his tank crashed and fell into a canal off the Euphrates River...trapped inside the tank he died. The letter was to be given to his wife to be opened on the event of his death...

I searched all my life for a dream and I found it in you. I would like to think that I made a positive difference in your lives. I will never be able to make up for the bad. I am so sorry. The happiest moments in my life all deal with my little family. I will always have with me the small moments we all shared. The moments when you quit taking life so serious and smiled. The sounds of a beautiful boy's laughter or the simple nudge of a baby unborn. You will never know how complete you have made me. You opened my eyes to a world I never dreamed existed.

Dakota, you are more son than I could ever ask for. You have a big beautiful heart. I will always be there in our park when you dream, so we can still play. I hope someday you will have a son like mine. I love you Toad. I will always be there with you. I'll be in the sun, shadows, dreams, and joys of your life.

Bean, I never got to see you but I know in my heart you are beautiful.

I have never been so blessed as I was on the day I met Melissa Dawn Benfield. You are my Angel, soulmate, wife, lover and best friend. I am so sorry. I did not want to have to write this letter. There is so much more I need to say, so much more I need to share. A lifetime's worth. I married you for a million lifetimes. That's how long I will be with you.

Do me one favor. After you tuck the children in, give them hugs and kisses from me. Go outside and look at the stars, and count them. Don't forget to smile.

2 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

Wow...how touching! Makes you think, huh? Thanks for updating!

Sue said...

Oh my gosh, I could just weep.