Monday, November 10, 2008

Pretty People

I heard the other day that there was a group of women trying to raise money for Casey Anthony, the woman believed to have killed her daughter and had not reported her missing until forced to do so by her mother one month later. I'm no professional reporter or a detective but I tried to research her case on line, had read the timelines, listened to audio files (911 calls & jailhouse calls), listened to interviews (english and spanish) and tried to read anything I could about what "really" happened. After all this, I have to say, I believe she is guilty! Nothing adds up but again, I'm basing my opinion on what was available to me. But I'm not really writing about her...per say...I'm writing about looks and how they can play in the media...and perhaps everyone else.

If she looked like an old witchy hag...would there be a group of women wanting her out of prison? I mean if they had heard this ugly old bitch had murdered her 2 year old and kept lying about what happened to her daughter...would they say she was 'innocent'? It reminds me of a case a long time ago, where a battered woman was accused of "standing" by and letting her husband kill their adopted daughter...I don't recall there being any sympathy for her, perhaps because she wasn't that pretty. We lash out at how evil she had to have been to let that happen...but I wonder if she was this beautiful thing...would have we been more sympathetic?

How about Scott Peterson? Honestly, he's not a bad looking man but he's an evil incarnate. He's a foul man that should never see the light of day....that said...there are women out there that write him letters, want to communicate with this a**hole. Do they think that if they were with him that would NEVER happen to them? What a bunch of dimwits! If he were an ugly f*%k no one would want to talk to him.

It blows my mind the pull beauty has on so many levels in the media....from death to missing persons, if you're not beautiful your story will get lost in the shuffle. Take a look at all the stories out there...to hear that a beauty has been kidnapped or killed is what fables are written about and makes for a great tale...especially if there's a happy ending. Not to say that the victims don't deserve any sympathy, a death is a death and violence is not biased.

Sometimes I feel that we excuse people who are pretty, like Debra Lafave who had sex with her student (he was 14). Personally I wouldn't have cared what she looked like, I would've just kicked her a** for sleeping with my son! Ok...maybe not excuse it but it sure seems that pretty people can sometimes get away with murder (except for that jerk Drew Peterson...ugly and free).

That's my rant...my mind is wondering right now...too many stimuli's around me at the moment...damn that TMZ show!

2 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

I wonder if we'll ever find out what happened to that little girl? Makes you think, if she wanted to stop being a mother, why didn't she just sign over custody?? Love your blog...I became a follower...I have no life! Just kidding!

micheleshines said...

I'm pretty and I get away w stuff all the time (insert evil laugh).

Seriously though society has all types of prejudices - youth, gender, sexual orientation - the list goes on and on.

The real beauty is that each of us make up society and if we continuously own up to our own shit society can only be better for it.